Today is National PTSD Awareness Day.
Here are some things you might not know about PTSD:
- Military veterans are not the only people that get PTSD (although the rate of PTSD in vets returning from the Middle East is frighteningly high).
- PTSD is not something people can "just get over."
- Telling people with PTSD to "stop dwelling on" the traumatic experience is not helpful.
- There is treatment for PTSD, which is fairly effective for most people. However, it can take a long time and it's expensive. Even with good treatment, symptoms may not go away completely.
- PTSD can be extremely debilitating.
- You can't tell just by looking at someone if they have PTSD. Someone can seem pretty "normal" and still have PTSD.