Wednesday, June 12, 2013

30 Pounds of Dog Food

I have 30 pounds of dog food in the trunk of my car.

I normally buy dog food in 15-pound bags.  The brand Isaac eats comes in five-pound, 15-pound, and 30-pound bags.  I normally buy the 15-pound bags because I can carry them, though it's somewhat difficult, and because it works out to be cheaper per pound if I buy that size instead of the five-pound bags.  Well, today the farm supply place was out of 15-pound bags.  I had to choose between five pounds or 30 pounds.  And the 30-pound bags were on sale.  I could get a 30-pound bag of dog food for $41.  Compare that to buying three of the five-pound bags for a total of $36.  Well, of course I wanted to get 15 pounds more for just another $5.

I managed to wrestle the bag into my cart, and then into the trunk of my car.  I have no idea, though, how I'm going to get it out of my trunk and into my apartment.  I guess maybe I will open the bag in my trunk and scoop some of the food out into a container of a manageable size.  I can then carry the food into my house, making several trips.  Doesn't that sound fun?

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lot of work. Can you ask a neighbor for help? Especially a teenage boy? You could offer them a couple of bucks for doing this. or is there anyone at a church nearby that you can ask help for on short notice? I can't imagine they would tell you too bad if you called and explained the situation and asked for help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up putting it into half-gallon containers to carry it inside. It did seem like a lot of work. I didn't know who to ask for help and I don't like asking for help and... I don't know. I feel like it's something I should be able to handle myself. I thought about waiting until later when Isaac's dog walker gets here to take him for a run. I'm sure he would have no trouble lifting 30 pounds.

      I was thinking, today, about how I used to be a nursing assistant. I worked in a nursing home. I lifted people. Easily. 30 pounds was like nothing, then.

      Delete
  2. How about getting a set of panniers for Isaac? He can wear them just like his service harness. Then you can have him help carry things. I'm sure you probably don't want him to wear the panniers when he's doing his normal duties but for times like this it would work. Lots of hiking dogs carry their own food and their persons stuff as well. And they aren't service dogs. Isaac is so smart and eager to please that i'm sure once he gets used to the idea of some weight on him when he wears them that it will be fun for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a possibility. One issue, though, would be the best way to put them on him and fill them with whatever I wanted him to carry. I normally put his vest on him in the back seat of the car, before we go into a store or other business. He stands on the seat and I don't have to bend over too much. Or I can even sit on the seat next to him. I take the vest off after he gets in the car, and again I can sit on the seat next to him to do it. Bending over to do something like that when he is on the ground would be extremely difficult, or sometimes impossible.

      Delete