Saturday, May 26, 2012

So When Am I Gonna Get This Dog, Anyway?


Good question.  I hope soon.  I am trying not to rush into things, though.  Sometimes I get excited about an idea and I want to do it now, right now.  But some things work out better if you do some planning and preparation first.

I am hoping to start searching for a suitable dog in a couple months.  In the meantime, I am continuing to do some research and learn as much as I can about living with a service dog and just about dogs in general.  I’ve always been a cat person.  We had a dog when I was a kid but I didn’t really pay that much attention to it.  I know next to nothing about dogs.  Or I did, when I first started looking into the possibility of getting a service dog.  I know a lot more now, but still have a lot to learn.

I’m also starting to save some money to cover the costs of my service dog.  I have a storage unit filled with stuff, most of it from my old apartment when I used to live in another city.  When I moved in with Mike, he already had furniture and other household stuff, so a lot of my things went into the storage unit.  That stuff has been in there for eight years now.  I’m thinking, if I haven’t used it in eight years, I probably don’t really need it, right?  So my plan is to clean out the storage unit, sell some of the stuff on Craig’s List if I can, and use that money to cover the adoption fee for my dog.  Plus, if I empty out the storage unit, I won’t have to pay the monthly fee for it anymore and that amount is about half of the estimated monthly cost of feeding and caring for a dog.  So taking care of my storage unit and the stuff in it is an important part of my plan to be able to afford a service dog.

In addition to learning about dogs and saving money, I’ve been looking for a trainer.  I think I’ve found one but I have a couple other people to call.  I guess I should check out all my options so I can make sure I’m making the best choice.  I really like the woman I think I’m going to go with, though.  Her name is Becky.  She has a little experience training service dogs, not a lot, but a lot of experience training dogs in general.  She asked really good questions when I talked to her so she could get a good idea of what I would need from her and she was easy to talk to.  She’s willing to meet with me and my therapist to discuss the specific tasks I need a dog to perform.  She’s also willing to help me select a dog.

I’m hoping to start looking for a dog in a couple months.  I don’t know how long it will take to find one.  I want to get a dog from a rescue group, and plan to contact both a golden retriever rescue and a Labrador retriever rescue near me.  There’s no guarantee either will have a suitable dog at that time, though.  I might have to wait a while or check with other groups until I find the right match for me.  Picking out the right dog may be the most difficult part of training a service dog and I don’t want to pick out the wrong one just because I’m impatient.

No comments:

Post a Comment