Wednesday, October 14, 2015

More on Why I am Opposed to Certification for Service Dogs

A while back I wrote about how I am opposed to certification for service dogs because I believe it would create barriers for people with disabilities.  It would cost money and I believe service dog handlers would have to bear at least some of that cost.  Lack of accessible transportation would also create a barrier if a handler had to go somewhere to get their dog certified. 

But here's more.  And this is possibly the most important thing, I think.

Most people do not need a special ID card or certification to go to Walmart or McDonald's or wherever.  I don't believe I should have to have a special ID just because I am disabled and need a service dog.  

Yes, I realize most people do not get to take a dog to Walmart or McDonald's, so there is something different about  me.  But then, most people don't have PTSD and fibromyalgia, either.  Most people are not disabled.

It's a civil rights issue, really.  The Americans with Disabilities Act is a civil rights law.  Requiring someone to have a special ID just because they are disabled would be a violation of their civil rights.  And yes, some might say the ID is not because I am disabled, it is because I have a service dog.  But I have a service dog, I need a service dog, because I am disabled.

I don't believe I should have to show ID to go to Walmart unless everyone is going to be required to do so.  It's about civil rights.  It's about equality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment