Saturday, June 23, 2012

I Get to Go on Vacation!


This is exciting because I have not really had a vacation in a number of years.  I’ve gone out of town to visit my sister, if that counts as a vacation, but that’s it.  And now, not only do I get a week-long vacation to the beach, I don’t have to pay for it!  

Here’s how it came about.  My oldest nephew is a Marine, stationed on the East Coast, near the beach.  My sister was hoping she could go visit him this summer but didn’t know how she’d come up with the cash.  Her ex-husband is supposed to pay child support but rarely does.  However, it appears he filed income taxes last year, something else he rarely does, and this year he received a substantial tax refund.  That’s because one of their sons is currently living with him, so he qualified for a tax credit.  I’m assuming that’s the only reason he filed at all.  Like I said, he normally does not file, but then, most years he has very little income to report, too.

Well, this time he did file and was issued a substantial refund.  However, when you owe more than $50,000 in past due child support, you usually don’t actually get to keep your tax refund.  The Child Support Enforcement Agency snags it and forwards it to the custodial parent for the care of the children you have been neglecting to support.  I’m guessing this came as a surprise to ex-hubby.  Ha, ha!

My sister decided to use this unexpected money to take a trip to visit her son at the Marine base.  She invited me to go along, all expenses paid.  My mother is also going, and my soon-to-be seven-year-old nephew.

I am delighted to be going to the beach, because I love the ocean and have only been able to go there a few times in my life.  The last time I saw the ocean was about ten years ago, in New Jersey, at Thanksgiving time.  Which was still nice, but not like summer on the shore.

I am also thrilled that ex-hubby is financing the trip.  I think we should send him a postcard from the beach, thanking him for his generosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment