Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Why I Want a Rescue Dog


I have chosen not to apply for a service dog through a program, for a number of reasons.  I’ve talked about that before.

I have also chosen not to purchase a dog from a breeder, but to look for a rescue dog.  I don’t want a dog from a shelter, I want a dog from a rescue organization, one that will have been living with a foster family while waiting to be adopted.  Some people think that’s a bad decision.

Recently, on an internet forum, someone told me in great detail why she thought I was making the wrong decision and then, when I thanked her for her input but told her I believe a rescue dog was the best choice for me, told me I was being rigid and she didn’t like talking to people that were so rigid and wouldn’t listen.  I guess she equated listening with agreement.

I did listen.  I really did.  I value the advice and information from people that have had service dogs.  But it bugs me when people on an internet forum assume they know what’s best for me and that I don’t know what I’m doing.  It bugs me when people think they know what’s right for me and that I don’t.  It bugs me when people seem to think they should get to make choices for me.

I want a rescue dog because I don’t want a puppy and breeders typically, though not always, sell puppies.  There are a number of reasons I don’t want a puppy, and I feel strongly that choosing a young adult dog is best for me.  For what it’s worth, my trainer agrees.  I want a rescue dog because the adoption fees for rescue dogs are affordable for me and the cost of purchasing a dog from a breeder is not.  I want a rescue dog because I dislike the idea of breeding more dogs when there are already so many dogs that need homes, even though I understand that many of the dogs in need of homes aren’t suitable for working as service dogs.  A rescue dog is more in line with my values.  And there are people that have gotten rescue dogs and trained them as service dogs.  My trainer does not think that is impossible.

Would it be easier to train a dog from a breeder?  Would it be easier to find a suitable candidate for a service dog from a breeder?  Maybe.  But does that mean it’s the right choice for me?  I don’t think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment