Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Cats and Dogs

I've been wondering how my cats will react to a service dog.  Larry and Cayenne have never been around dogs before.  Indigo used to have a puppy friend when she was a kitten.  He lived down the street and his owners let him run around off-leash.  One day he came into our yard and Indigo was outside and they started playing together.  It was so cute.  She would chase him and he would get so excited and yap and run around in circles.  All fall, he would come over and if he didn't see her outside, he would bark at our door to see if she could come out and play.  Then it got cold and snowed and she refused to go out and play in the snow.  We never saw the puppy again after that winter.

My next door neighbor just got a new puppy and he is very cute, but I have to say, watching him has convinced me that I made the right decision in choosing not to get a puppy.  He is so hyper and energetic.  Today I was standing on my patio talking to her, and Larry and Cayenne came outside and the puppy saw them and wanted to play.  Larry took off around the side of the house; he wanted nothing to do with that dog.  The dog started to go after him and my neighbor called him to come back to her.  Well, apparently Cayenne thought my neighbor was calling her, because she trotted right over to her and asked to be petted.  So my neighbor was petting her and then the puppy ran over and he was right next to Cayenne and she totally ignored him.  It was like she didn't even see him.  Paid him no attention at all.

I've been wondering if Larry might play with my dog, though.  He is pretty playful at times.  Indigo will play with him sometimes but Cayenne never will.  He doesn't give up though.  He keeps on asking her to play and always seems to think that even though she refused to play the last 700 times he asked, this time she'll want to.  But no, she just growls at him and looks miserable.  So I think he might play with a dog, once he gets used to the dog being around.

No comments:

Post a Comment