Saturday, August 18, 2012

Keeping My Vet in Business

This evening, I noticed my kitty Indigo is limping.  She is favoring her left front paw.  I looked at the foot very carefully and can't find anything wrong with it, no sores, no thorns, nothing visible and when I gently squeeze the foot she doesn't act like it hurts.  But she doesn't want to put weight on it.  Since she otherwise appears to feel fine, I don't think she needs to see the vet on an emergency basis (which is good because my vet charges an addition $75 fee for emergency visits outside of normal office hours) but if she is still limping Monday morning, she'll have to go to the vet.

The last time I had a cat that was limping and couldn't see anything wrong with his foot, it turned out he had a fractured hip.  And he was only limping slightly and I'd waited about 24 hours before taking him to the vet to see if the limp would just get better, because I had no idea he was seriously injured.  I felt just terrible when the vet showed me the x-ray.  He had to have surgery and I forget how much it cost but I'm sure it was a lot!

I love my cats.  But I don't think my vet needs a new car or a vacation just now, and if he does, I don't want to fund it!

No comments:

Post a Comment