Thursday, August 16, 2012

Well, That Was an Expensive Mistake

This morning I went to the fridge to get out Cayenne's insulin for her injection and discovered her insulin was not in the fridge.  It was, instead, sitting on the shelf with her syringes.  I immediately called Mike at work, hoping to hear that he had given her the injection this morning before leaving for work, although he usually doesn't.  That task almost always falls to me.  Sure enough, he had not done it.

That means I left the insulin out last night when I gave her the after dinner injection.  So it had been sitting out for more than 12 hours.  I figured I already knew the answer, but I called the vet anyway, hoping they would tell me it would still be good.

No such luck.  That means I have to throw out about half a vial of expensive insulin and go buy a new bottle.  Which I think costs something like $80.  Darn it.

Edited to add: I wish a vial of insulin only cost $80!  Apparently I had forgotten how much it was last time I had to buy some.  It was a long while back since Cayenne is on a pretty low dose and one vial lasts a long, long time.  Plus the cost was so high, I probably blocked it out of my mind like a traumatic memory.  $130!

Next time we see the vet, I am going to ask if it would be possible to switch her to human insulin, which I could purchase for less money at Walmart.  Some vets do prescribe human insulin for cats.  I called Walmart to see if they carry the Prozinc pet insulin, which is what I'm currently using, but unfortunately, they do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment