Sunday, September 2, 2012

Please Tell Me I Don't Have to Call Social Security Again

I checked my mail today and finally got a letter from Social Security explaining that the state will now be paying my Medicare premium.  That's nice, huh?  Only about a month after that change went into effect.

The letter also stated that I would receive a payment of X amount on or about August 31 for the month of August and that after that, I would receive my payment on the third of every month.  I looked at my bank statement online, and sure enough, I got a payment on August 31.

But here's the thing.  I already got my payment for August, back on August 3, the same day I get my payment every month.  If I get another payment tomorrow, that will mean I've received an extra payment.

Unless for some reason I don't understand, they owe me another payment.  But I don't think so.  I'd love the extra cash, but not if I'm not supposed to get it.  Besides the fact that I don't want more than what I'm entitled to, because I want to be ethical and fair and also because I realize there is a limited amount of money to go around and I want other people to be able to get the benefits they need, too, there is the fact that if they make an error, at some point they will probably want their money back.  Possibly with interest.  I would prefer not to have to deal with that.

Unfortunately, this means that if I get a payment tomorrow, I will have to call Social Security again.  And it was so much fun last time.  It's nice to have things to look forward to, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment