Friday, November 9, 2012

Things I've Learned about Life with a Service Dog

The last two days have been very enlightening.  I've learned all kinds of things about dogs in general, about service dogs in particular, and about my dog Isaac.

In no particular order:

  • Labs are kinda big dogs and they poop a lot.  Not a lot as in often, but a lot as in big amounts at a time.
  • Male dogs seem to have an endless supply of pee and they feel the need to pee on every bush or tree they walk past.  At least, my male dog does!
  • Life with a service dog would be easier if I had three hands.  Or maybe four.  I need a hand to hold the leash, which means I am trying to do everything else with just one hand, like paying for purchases, eating a meal in a restaurant, using the bathroom in a public restroom, carrying things from the car to the house, etc.
  • Kids like seeing a service dog in a store or restaurant.
  • Strangers have no qualms asking what kind of service dog Isaac is.
  • Many people do seem to be aware that they should ask before petting a service dog, and they are polite about it if told not right now, he is working.
  • Occasionally someone will pet him as they walk by, without asking.  Isaac doesn't mind.
  • Employees at local businesses seem to know service dogs are allowed in.  No access issues so far.
  • Dogs drink a lot.  Guess it goes with the endless supply of pee.  I brought a fairly small plastic dish for water for Isaac and I have to refill it about ten times a day.  I need to buy a BIG water bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment