Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Today's Victories

It's just past noon and Isaac and I have had some great experiences already today.

Of course, the day started with him spilling my coffee, which was my fault because I put it on a nightstand where he could bump it, and it got on one of Mike's books and he was a bit unhappy about it, so I felt that the day was off to a poor start.  But it did get better.

Isaac and I went to the thrift store to get some stuffed toys, since he killed the two he had last night.  Totally gutted them.  I figured we could find some cheap ones at the thrift store, plus I wanted to look for some jeans and shirts.  The thrift store, as you might imagine, is full of things that smell.  Isaac did really, really well.  Twice I had to tell him to stop sniffing merchandise and once I had to tell him not to sniff another shopper.  Otherwise, he was perfect.  And I pushed the cart and carried my purse and looked at items and everything, all with just two hands.

When we got home, we went for a walk up to the mailbox.  Isaac is doing better about not pulling on the leash when we walk.  On the way home, I spotted a cat up ahead and I saw it before he did.  I got a good grip on the leash, then instructed him to "watch me," giving him a treat when he did.  We need to practice "watch me" some more, I think.  But he did look at me when I told him to, and when he finally did see the cat and started to pull on the leash, I was prepared for him.  I corrected him immediately and told him to "watch me," and he did, and I gave him another treat.  Meanwhile, the cat sauntered away, so we could finish our walk without him trying to catch the cat.  That is such great progress for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment