Monday, July 15, 2013

Things That Have Helped My Back and Things That Haven't

I was talking to my  new primary care physician recently (I decided to find a new doctor closer to where I live now) about my back and all the things I've tried and what's helped and what hasn't, so I decided to make a list.

Things that made it worse:
  • Chiropractic treatment
Things that barely helped or didn't help at all:
  • Tylenol
  • Oral steroids
  • Physical therapy (two courses)
Things that helped some but not enough:
  • Steroid injections
  • Medial branch nerve block and radiofrequency neurotomy (procedures to block the nerves from transmitting pain)
  • Oral pain medications, including Vicodin, Percocet and Tramadol
  • Flexeril (muscle relaxant)
Things that help a lot (if done regularly):
  •  Heating pad
  • Hot bath with Epsom salts and eucalyptus essential oil
  • Turmeric (herb with anti-inflammatory properties)
  • Cymbalta (antidepressant that is also used to treat chronic pain)
  • Energy work (like Reiki)
  • Having a service dog (because he eliminates the need to do a lot of bending to pick things up, get clothes out of the dryer, etc.)
Notice how a lot of the things that help are actually cheap, easy-to-do-myself-at-home things?  With the exception of Isaac and the Cymbalta, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment