Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Update on Whiskers

I know, it's been a while since I posted anything.  I've had a lot going on and had several days in which I was really not feeling well at all.

First I'll update you about Whiskers the Cat.

Perhaps the biggest update is, Whiskers is a girl!  My friend had told me the cat was a boy and I just assumed he knew.  I mean, it's not hard to tell what gender a cat is, right?  But my friend was wrong.

Whiskers has been at my home for four days now.  She is going to be here until mid-July.  A friend of mine halfway across the country found a home for her with a friend of hers.  My friend is attending a professional conference in Chicago in mid-July and Whiskers can ride home with her from the conference.  That means I only have to drive Whiskers to Chicago, which is 5.5 hours away, instead of a 14 hour drive.

Meanwhile, Whiskers is staying with me where she can get her medication and hopefully recover from both her UTI and her severe constipation so that she will be in good health when she goes to her new home. 

Giving her the antibiotic pills twice a day is rough!  She is a little hellion, I tell you.  Both my hands are all clawed up and she also got me good on one eyebrow.  It's a good thing I wear glasses, I guess, or she might have put my eye out.  She does not like pills and refuses to cooperate in any way.

She is taking her fiber supplement well, though.  I mix it in a teaspoon of turkey baby food and she thinks that is quite delicious.  Isaac thinks it smells delicious and he is quite disappointed that he doesn't get any.

Whiskers is eating well.  I just bought her some Iams kibble, a special hairball formula.  She does not hack up hairballs but I think it may help with her digestion and constipation.  The vet had suggested a hairball remedy for her for just that reason, but she does not like it and it is very difficult to get her to eat it.  I've never had a cat that didn't like hairball remedies before.  They've always thought it was a yummy treat.  But not Whiskers.

The first night she was here, she woke me up at 3:00 am, pacing the house and meowing.  It woke Isaac up, too, and he was so tired he wasn't even interested in going over to see what she was doing.  He just looked at her with half-opened eyes like "What on earth are you doing? And when will you stop?"

The second night was quiet.  That evening, she seemed interested in playing and of course I had no cat toys for her.  I gave her the plastic ring from a milk jug and I also played with her with a piece of yarn for a bit.  The next day I got her some toys and today I got her some more.  Her favorite seems to be the plastic milk ring, though.  I keep finding it in my bed.

Whiskers has taken over my bedroom.  She chose it was her space.  Under the bed is her safe place and the first 24 hours she was here, she spent a lot of time under the bed.  She would come out to creep around the house, exploring, and then run back under the bed for safety.  The second day, she decided she liked lying on the bed and also that she liked sitting in the bedroom window, which I've been leaving open since the weather has been nice.  She still runs under the bed if startled or made nervous, but she hangs out on the bed or in the window.

I'm glad she's doing well and relieved to have found a good home for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment