Monday, February 29, 2016

Apparently He Gets Off Work at 9 PM

Yesterday I had to do laundry in preparation for my road trip.  I planned to leave early today and I wanted to get to bed at a reasonable hour.

There are two washing machines and two dryers in the laundry room of my building.  One of the washing machines I don't use.  It's a front loading machine and it's hard on my back to bend over to put the clothes in it.  Isaac can get them out for me, but it's at a slightly awkward height for him to reach.  I just use the top loading machine.

Well, someone was using both washing machines when I carried my first load downstairs.  So I waited a bit, then went back downstairs when I thought the machine should be free. It was done washing, but whoever was using it had not transferred their laundry to the dryer yet.  I went back upstairs for a few minutes, then went back down to check again.  Wet laundry was still sitting in the washing machine.

Finally they moved their clothes to the dryers.  The dryers in my building take an hour to dry.  The washing machine doesn't take that long, but I knew it was going to be an hour before a dryer was available.  So I waited and an hour later, went down to transfer my clothes to the dryer.

The other person's clean, dry laundry was still in the dryer, which was done drying.  I went back upstairs, waited a bit, then went back downstairs.  The clothes were still sitting in the dryer.  So I went back upstairs and waiting a little longer.

Thirty minutes after the dryer had stopped, I finally get fed up and took the clean laundry out of the dryer, placed it on top of the dryer, and put my clothes in the dryer.  Then I finally got my second load of laundry started.

It was taking forever to get my laundry done.  Forever.

I was tired.  Apparently Isaac was, too.  It was 9 PM before it was time to get the second load out of the dryer and I had to coax Isaac out of bed to come help me.  After he'd removed about half the laundry from the dryer, he apparently decided it was time for him to be off work.

He lay down.

On the floor there in front of the dryer.  Just lay down.  And showed no interest in getting back up to finish unloading the dryer. I could not convince him to get any more laundry out for me.

I was surprised.  He's never done that before.  I was upset.  I was tired, too, and my back was sore.  But he was just done.  I was confused.  I wasn't sure what to do.

I finished unloading the dryer myself.  I took Isaac, and my laundry, back upstairs.  I went back downstairs later to get the third, and final, load out of the dryer myself.

He's never done that before.  But we'd had a long day.  A busy day.  And Isaac does not normally stay up later.  I mean, 9 PM is kind of late for him.  I guess I'll see what happens next time I do laundry - and I will do it early in the day. With high value treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment