Thursday, February 7, 2013

Are You Training that Dog?

I get asked this question a lot.  I guess people assume I must be training a service dog for someone else since I don't look disabled.  I don't get asked that question every time I go somewhere with Isaac, but I bet I do at least half the time.  Probably closer to 75% of the time.  It gets annoying.

The conversation usually goes something like this.

Random Stranger:  Are you training that dog?

Me:  Nope.  He's already trained.

Random Stranger (looking confused):  Oh.  Um... is he your dog then?

Me:  Yes.

Random Stranger:  Oh.  But is he a service dog?

Me:  Yes.

Random Stranger:  He's your service dog?

Me:  Yes.

Random Stranger:  Oh.  Well... what kind of dog is he?

Me:  He's a yellow lab.

Random Stranger:  I meant what kind of service dog.  Like what does he do?

Me (sighing):  He helps me.

Random Stranger:  Oh... well... but how?

Me:  Come on, Isaac.  Time to go!

Seriously.  At least 50% of the time when I go to the grocery store or the library or the thrift store or Applebee's, I have this conversation with a stranger.

I understand people are curious.  But I get tired of it.  Wouldn't you?

3 comments:

  1. Print out cards and just hand them to these idiots when they get started. Then walk away. People are just incredible in their tactlessness, nosiness, and just plain gall. Don't know how you stay so patient.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kathy. People demand answers about issues that are none of their business, and they lack tact. You don't owe anyone any explanation especially to people who are so ignorant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've thought about printing up some business cards or something to hand out. I know I don't owe people explanations, but I also don't want to be rude. I certainly do not always stay patient, though.

    ReplyDelete