Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Staring Contest

I know I've mentioned this before, but I'm gonna talk about it again.  I get really tired sometimes of people staring at me and my service dog.  It's rude and it makes me uncomfortable.

Not long ago, I was at the grocery store.  I noticed this woman who had stopped in the middle of the aisle to stare at me.  I got my milk out of the cooler, put it in my cart, and saw that she was still standing there, staring.

Now, I've decided that I am going to say something to people that do that.  I am going to say something like, "Excuse me.  I just wanted to let you know, it makes me really uncomfortable when people stare at me like that.  I thought maybe you didn't realize that and wanted you to know."  But so far, I haven't actually said that.  I tend to chicken out.

For some reason, this woman was really irritating me, though.  Instead of saying something to her, I stood there and stared back.  Just stared.  For kind of a long time.

Eventually she turned away.

I won the staring contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment