Sunday, June 29, 2014

How Much Isaac Loves Me

Isaac likes to follow me everywhere.  He is rarely more than a few inches from me at any given time, except when he's sleeping.  Even then, if he hears me get up and move around, he often gets up and comes to see what I'm doing.  If I get up to pee in the middle of the night, he often jumps out of bed and comes into the bathroom to see me.

The other day, I was in the bathroom and had the door closed.  I don't close the bathroom door very often.  I live alone, plus with my PTSD I kind of like being able to see and hear the rest of my apartment while I'm in the bathroom.  And Isaac prefers doors to be kept open.  As did my cats, in the past.  Cayenne doesn't care anymore, she's not going to follow me into the bathroom anyway.  But Isaac likes to follow me in.  When I shower, he likes to lie in the doorway.  I think it gets too warm in the bathroom for his liking, especially if I close the door with him in there, but he likes to be close by.

But the other day, I did have the door closed.  Unbeknownst to me, Isaac was standing right on the other side of it.  When I opened it, the door hit his toe.  He yelped a little and held up his foot, like it was terribly painful.  He acted like he didn't want to put any weight on it.  I felt terrible, of course.  I sat down on the floor, looked at his foot carefully, couldn't see any injury, and hugged him and kissed him and told him I was sorry.  He got over it.  Soon he was running through the apartment in search of Mr. Pickle.

Later, I had to use the bathroom.  I left the door open, as Isaac prefers.  He came into the bathroom after me, but he looked nervously at the door as he passed it.  Apparently he did not realize that I opened the door and hurt his foot.  He just thought the door bit him or something.

But even though he was nervous about the door, he wanted to be in the bathroom with me enough to walk past the big bad door.  That's love.

By the way, by the next time he followed me into the bathroom, apparently Isaac had forgotten all about the door hurting his toe.  He did not appear nervous at all then.

No comments:

Post a Comment