Sunday, June 15, 2014

I Don't Look Like I'm Blind

Today I was at Subway with a friend and a guy in line ahead of us asked if Isaac was in training.  I said no, and then said, "Can I ask what made you think he was in training?"  I've been wondering exactly what it is that makes people ask that all the time so I had decided the next time someone asked, I was doing to ask them why.  People used to ask me that all the time and for some odd reason, since I decided I would ask them why, no one's asked me in a while.

So he said, "Well, you don't look like you're blind."

I said, "Oh.  Well, I'm not blind, but service dogs help people all sorts of things, not just visual impairments."

His wife, or girlfriend, whoever she was, nudged him and said, "You know that.  They even have dogs for kids with autism."

He said yes, he did know that, but he still associates service dogs with blind people.  Then he said, "Is that the right word?  Or should I say visually impaired?"

I told him either term was fine with me.

So there it is.  I don't look blind.  Therefore, I must be training Isaac for a blind person.

No comments:

Post a Comment