Thursday, October 2, 2014

Taking a Trip with My Service Dog

Next week Isaac and I are taking a little trip.  Well, that's the plan, anyway.  But tomorrow morning I have to take my car to the garage because the coolant is leaking and if they can't fix it by Monday or if I get really bad news about how much it's going to cost to fix it, that may derail our plans.  But hopefully we are taking a trip.

I am originally from Cincinnati but don't have many friends left there these days.  And I am estranged from my immediate family, so I no longer go to Cincinnati to visit them.  However, I have a friend that is also originally from Cincinnati that now lives in another state who is currently visiting family in Cincinnati, so I want to visit her.  I've also recently gotten in touch with an old friend that I used to work with back when I was a social worker who is in Cincinnati, and I haven't seen her in forever, and I want to see her.  And I have one really good friend in Cincinnati that I only get to see a few times a year, so I'd love to see her.  So I want to go there for a few days and visit people.

I also want to visit some parks in the area and do a little hiking with Isaac.  I was thinking of visiting Serpent Mound, which is not far from Cincinnati, but they charge a ridiculously high fee just to park your car.  So I don't know if I'll do that or not.

I'm really excited about the trip, though.  I think it's going to be lots of fun.  I got a really good price on a hotel room and I plan to pack a cooler full of food (not just to save money but because I don't really eat fast food anyway, I'd rather have good food that is good for me), although I also plan to eat at a few restaurants with friends, hopefully at some really yummy but affordable places.  I live in the middle of farmland, we have no Indian restaurants anywhere around and I love Indian food.

Traveling with a dog is a lot of work, though.  Isaac needs his own suitcase.  Actually, I would like to buy one of those backpacks with wheels and fix it so he can pull it himself.  He'd enjoy that, I think.  He used to love to tug the laundry basket from the bedroom to the laundry area at my old house.  He could easily pull a backpack on wheels.  Then he could pull his own stuff.  As it is, his stuff goes in a duffel bag and I have to carry it.

Why does he have so much stuff?  I don't know.  Most of it is not because he's a service dog, I'd have to pack it all for a pet dog, too.  I am taking a sheet to put on the bed to try to keep dog hair and dirt off the bed.  I am taking one of his blankies to put on the floor to keep dog hair off the carpet if he wants to sleep on the floor.  I am taking enough food for our trip plus a couple extra meals, just in case.  Food and water dishes.  A Kong and Mr. Pickle.  Some treats.  A couple raw hide chews.  A bunch of plastic bags for picking up poop.  An extra collar and leash, in case he manages to roll in poop or something.  See what I mean?  He needs his own suitcase.

I love traveling with Isaac, though.  He is such a good traveling companion.  He loves to ride in the car and loves to stop for gas or a bathroom break or whatever and get out and sniff around.  He's just really good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment