Monday, April 15, 2013

About My Mammogram

Three weeks ago, I had a mammogram.

I was going to write about it at the time, mainly because I took Isaac with me and he was really good the whole time, but that was the same day I saw my new apartment for the first time, which depressed me, and I ended up writing about that, instead.  The mammogram didn't seem so significant at the time.

I almost didn't get the mammogram done at all.  I wasn't afraid of getting it done, despite my current and continuing fear of doctors and medical procedures.  Apparently in my mind, a mammogram technician doesn't seem like a doctor, and I've had mammograms before so I knew exactly what to expect and knew it wouldn't be painful.  I just figured it would be a waste of time and money, because I was pretty sure that if they actually found something, I would not be able to proceed with getting a biopsy or anything like that.  That would involve seeing a surgeon, who is a doctor, and it might even have to be done in a hospital, and it would be at least a little bit painful.  I didn't really see a reason to get the test done if I would not do anything with the results.

I ended up deciding to do it anyway, mainly because I believe knowledge is power, and even if I chose not to proceed with a biopsy or anything else, I would know if there was a possibility of a problem.  It would also give me choices.  I would probably choose not to do anything with the test results, but I would have the option of doing something if I chose to.  I also thought that maybe if I went to a medical appointment and it went OK, maybe that would boost my confidence and make me feel a little better about the idea of going to other appointments for other medical things in the future.

I didn't really expect anything to be wrong.  I do have a family history of breast cancer, and in September I had a mammogram that showed what they thought was a cluster of calcium deposits in my left breast.  Calcium deposits are not unusual as women age, I was informed, and the radiologist deemed it nothing to worry about but recommended a follow up mammogram in six months.  That's what I had three weeks ago.

And like I said, Isaac was really good.  I didn't even hold the leash while the tech was actually taking the pictures, because I was standing up against that machine with my breast flattened in a vice.  I just told him to sit and stay and he did.  Well, except when the tech had to squat down to adjust something on the machine at one point.  Isaac took that as an invitation to cuddle her.  But other than that, he was really good.  And she liked him and wanted to pet him, anyway.

I left that appointment and went to see my new apartment and wasn't worried about what the results would be at all.  But last week I got a call from my primary care provider and was asked to come in that day to speak to her about the results of my mammogram.  The thing they thought was a cluster of calcium deposits has become more prominent and has changed in shape and the shape is unusual.  She wanted to refer me to a surgeon for a biopsy.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, girl, I'm so sorry to hear that. I know of your fears of doctors and medical establishments. I can only think that whatever runs this place we call earth - god, higher power, karma, fate - led you to have that mammogram. And I understand exactly how scary it is to hear those words "you need to see a surgeon." So, let's call it karma.. for lack of a better name....is pointing your way forward. You've made tremendous strides in dealing with healthcare professionals, e.g. the radiology tech, your primary care provider....give yourself credit for the strength to take the next step and see a surgeon. Do you have a friend who could accompany you? It's scary enough to go alone, w/o all the difficulties you have experienced with medical personnel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have anyone that could go with me to see the surgeon, but a friend (who lives in another state, or she'd go with me) suggested maybe I could hire a doula to go with me. Doulas usually support women during childbirth, but the things they do, like help with relaxation and pain management and advocate for clients with health care professionals, are the same kinds of things I need help with. So I was able to hire someone and I see the surgeon in two days.

      Delete
    2. That was a wonderful suggestion your friend had, I'd never have thought of it, but what better support type person could you have than a doula - compassionate, caring, supportive - your friend is a genius. I'm so glad you were able to find someone and will be sending good thoughts your way for your appointment.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear this, Kelly! I will keep you in my positive thoughts that you have nothing to worry about and they are just being super cautious. Hang in there and kudos to you for taking care of yourself in having the mammogram!

    ReplyDelete