Sunday, February 2, 2014

When You Clip a Dog's Toenail Too Short

I've done this to Isaac twice.  Once was the first time I used the nail clippers made especially for dogs, which ironically enough are supposed to prevent you from cutting the nail too short.  The second time was yesterday.

The first time I did it, Isaac let out this yelp like I'd chopped off a toe.  The nail bled like crazy.  I mean, there were big red drops of blood all over the carpet and everything.  I felt terrible and was really scared to cut his nails again.  The reason I did cut them again, and later that very same day (I needed to finish the job because I stopped when I cut the nail too short), was because I didn't want Isaac to become scared of having his nails cut.  I thought finishing the job later the same day would help.  I wanted to do it without acting afraid at all (which was not easy for me because I was afraid) and I wanted him to see that he could get his nails cut without it hurting him.

Yesterday when it happened, I still felt bad, but I'm not scared of cutting his nails again.  I didn't panic as much this time.  I knew what to do. 

So here's a handy little trick.  I keep a glass jar (used to hold salsa) with cornstarch in it.  To stop the bleeding, just stick the dog's toes into the cornstarch.  In less than a minute, the bleeding was stopped.  I can't remember who told me that trick.  It might have been Isaac's trainer.  I'm not sure why or how it works, but it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment