Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Actually, It's the Adults I Have Trouble With

Today I had to go to the local hospital to get some blood work drawn and while Isaac and I were waiting in the waiting room, a woman asked me, "Do you have a lot of trouble with kids wanting to pet him?"

I said, "No, actually it's the adults I have trouble with.  Sometimes kids do ask me if they can pet him, but I think adults ask just as often.  However, kids always ask first.  Only once in all the time I've had him has a child ever pet him without asking, and that kid's brother quickly corrected him and then he stopped.  I've lost count of how many times an adult has pet him without asking, though.  Several dozen, probably.  And often they tell me as they are petting him that they know they aren't supposed to do that.  I've also had adults bark at him, meow at him and howl at him.  Kids have never done those things."

She was surprised.  I was, too, at first.  But I've come to accept that kids often behave better than their parents do.

No comments:

Post a Comment