Monday, July 28, 2014

Thankful

My kitchen is over-flowing with food right now.  And I am so thankful.

It's a bit odd, because financially things are pretty bad for me at the moment.  But somehow I have tons of food.  Which is good because I want to sort of stock up before winter.  I am anticipating my fibromyalgia getting worse when the weather gets cold and I'd like to have less shopping and food prep to do when that happens.

I found almond butter on sale a few weeks ago so I bought a bunch.  I went to my favorite farm stand and picked up some lovely squash and zucchini.  I recently made some potato soup and froze a few servings of that.  I tried to make tomato soup, too, but I'm afraid that didn't turn out so well.  It tastes more like spaghetti sauce than tomato soup, but not very good spaghetti sauce.  Like cheap canned spaghetti sauce.  But maybe I will put some onions and garlic and stuff in it and make sauce.

Then last Friday was produce day at the local food pantry and I got a ton of stuff.  I got about three dozen onions, and I'm talking huge onions, so I spent all day Saturday chopping them up.  I have a huge mound of diced onions in my freezer, frozen in one-cup servings, plus I kept out enough to make French onion soup with, which I made today.  It turned out really yummy.  I think I will freeze a couple servings of that, too.

I also got nearly two dozen apples, many of which were bruised or slightly overripe, so I peeled, chopped and frozen those, too.  I can bake with them or make applesauce or something.  I got a cucumber, a cabbage and a bag of clementines.  I also got a couple containers of Greek yogurt and a lovely loaf of Italian bread (the bread I sliced and then stuck in the freezer).

What else do I have?  I got some frozen smoothie mixes on sale at Kroger and I stocked up on chia seeds the other day and I just have more food than I've had in a long time.  I feel really rich when I look in the kitchen and see so much food.

No comments:

Post a Comment