Wednesday, November 19, 2014

On Blogging and Complaining

One of my readers recently complained that I complain too much in my blog.  And yes, I do see the irony in that.  I'm not sure she does, though.  I say "she" because I'm pretty sure I know who the complainant is, even though she chose to post her complaint anonymously.  You see, when someone posts multiple criticisms of my on my blog, only some of them anonymously, I start to recognize the language they use.

My first thought was, it's my blog and I'll complain if I want to.  And I stand by that.  Those that don't enjoy reading what I choose to write are free to stop reading my blog.

But also, how much complaining is too much?  How much is just right?  Is there such a thing as not complaining enough?  And who gets to decide how much is too much and how much is just right?  Oh yeah, here on my blog, I do.

But you know, a blog is usually not a very balanced view of a person's life.  I try not to complain much in my "real life" because I do worry that sometimes people will tire of it.  As much as I value the readers of my blog, I'd rather them tire of reading than my "real life" friends tire of spending time with me.  For instance, I know I wrote several times about the dental work I recently had to have done, but I scarcely discussed it with most of the friends.  I saved those complaints, if you want to call them complaints, for my blog.

I don't think my blog is full of complaints, though.  I count my blessings and make gratitude lists regularly and I know at least three of those lists are published here on my blog.  I recently posted about some adaptive equipment I bought and how helpful it has been.  I also posted recently about how well that dental work went.  Those posts are, in my opinion, the opposite of complaining.

If you're looking for a blog with no complaints, though, you've come to the wrong place.  Free free to move on if that's the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment