Sunday, May 31, 2015

Going Camping!

First thing tomorrow morning, Isaac and I are heading off to Hocking Hills State Park to camp for a few days.  Our friend Mike is coming with us.  I'm glad to have someone along on my first camping trip, especially someone that can carry heavy things and help set up the tent.  And honestly, I'm a bit worried I would get scared at night, in a tent with just Isaac.

I mentioned that to a friend of mine who, before she became disabled, hiked several hundred miles of the Appalachian trail by herself.  I am so impressed and also a tiny bit jealous, because that is one of those things I'd love to be able to do but know I will never get to do, with my disability.  I can only carry a gallon jug of milk a very short distance.  I could never carry a backpack for hundreds of miles.  Anyway, my friend told me sure, I would get scared sometimes.  She said that's normal.  Do it anyway.  She said she liked to make herself a cup of tea and read a good book by flashlight when she couldn't sleep while backpacking or camping.  She recommended taking extra flashlight batteries.

She also advised not letting Isaac out of the tent unsupervised in the morning just because it was 5 am and the sun not even up yet but he wanted to pee but I was still sleepy.  She did that once and her dog (not a service dog, a pet) went out and tangled with a skunk, which I guess put a damper on the whole sleeping-in-a-tent-with-your-dog plan.  :)

I have realized that packing for a camping trip is way more involved than packing for a trip in which I plan to stay in a hotel.  Yes, Isaac has his own bag, as usual.  But in addition to my bag and Isaac's bag, there is the bag with the tent, there is my sleeping bag, there is a bag of non-perishable food items, there is a bag of dishes and cooking utensils, there are a couple of dishpans, and there is a cooler.  And I am probably forgetting something there.

I have been making lists of stuff to pack for weeks.  I am mostly packed now but have to fill the cooler and add some other items in the morning.

I'm sure I'll have lots of pics and stories when we get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment