Wednesday, May 20, 2015

He Looks Like He Needs a Treat

Yesterday Isaac and I took a little day trip to Cuyahoga Valley National Park.  One the way home, we stopped at McDonald's so I could use the restroom and get something to drink.  The manager was asking me some questions about service dogs and then she looked at Isaac and said, "He looks like he needs a treat."

I said, "Oh, I'm sure he thinks he does," because you know, he always thinks he does.

And then she asked, "Can he have ice cream?"

Now, I never let Isaac eat in restaurants.  I never have, not in the two and a half years I've had him.  Occasionally restaurant employees really want to give him food.  Once at Chipotle, employees decided he really needed something to eat and asked me which he would prefer, chicken or steak.  I told them he would love either, but that he wasn't allowed to eat in the restaurant, but that if they would put it in a to go container for me, he could have it as soon as we got out to the car.

But I could tell the manager really wanted to give him ice cream and she really wanted to get to see him eat it.  I could just tell it was really important to her.

So I made an executive decision.  I let Isaac have the ice cream there in McDonald's.

She gave him a child's size ice cream cone.  I held it for him and he licked the ice cream up in about six licks.  He hesitated for about a second, considering the cone.  I think he wasn't sure if it was just an ice cream holder or if it was something to eat, too.  He decided he could eat it, and did, in two bites.

Then he looked at the manager, as if to say, "More?"

I told her he said thank you.  And told him not to think he was going to get ice cream every time we go to McDonald's now.

No comments:

Post a Comment