Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Service Dog on Sick Leave

This morning the dog walker arrived to take Isaac for his run.  Ten minutes later, they were back.  Isaac was limping and kept stopping to lick his left front foot.  Both the dog walker and I attempted to exam Isaac's foot but we couldn't see anything wrong with it.  I called the vet and made an appointment for this afternoon.

Throughout the morning, Isaac sometimes limped and sometimes didn't.  He did lick the side of his foot a lot.  I looked at the foot again but still couldn't see anything wrong.

We went to the vet this afternoon.  Isaac likes going to the vet.  It's just one more place to go and visit nice people that pet him and play with him and tell him he's a nice boy.  Plus they have yummy treats there.  And there are lots of places to pee outside the vet's office and lots of interesting smells.  It's a good time, as far as Isaac is concerned.

It turns out Isaac has a sprained ankle.  At least, that's what the vet thinks it is and I hope he is right.  I was worried it was going to be something serious and also something expensive.  Isaac's vet gives him a discount because he is a service dog, so this appointment ended up only costing $7, which was for some anti-inflammatory medication.  I just don't know how I'd pay for something expensive right now, on top of all the dental work I need.  I guess I'd pay for Isaac's care first and my teeth would just have to wait.  I was glad it only cost $7 today, though.

The good news is that it is not a severe sprain and he is expected to make a full recovery.  The bad news, as far as Isaac is concerned, is that he is supposed to stay off his feet for two weeks.  Seriously?  Do you know how active and energetic this dog is?  No running, no dog parks, no lake, no long walks, for two weeks.  The vet told me I can give him some Benadryl if necessary to calm him down and make him drowsy.

And no working.  Isaac is a service dog, remember?  He has the next two weeks off work.  No going to the grocery store with me, no helping me do laundry, none of that.  When a service dog is on sick leave (and it happens, service dogs get sick, too), the handler has to figure out how to do things without the dog's help.  It's going to be a very stressful two weeks for me and Isaac, I think.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you're both doing well. :( I understand the burden of anxiety, and having to shoulder it pretty much alone. I also understand the strong bond between a human and their pet, let alone service animal. I hope for a fast recovery for both your sakes (and I hope your dental work goes well!)

    ReplyDelete