Monday, September 23, 2013

Update on the Critters



First, an update on Isaac’s ankle.  It seems to be doing well.  He has been off the anti-inflammatory medication for a few days now.  We’ve been going for short walks a few times a day, which he enjoys very much.  Sunday he came to the fundraiser at the church (I’ll post about   how that went later).
 
This morning, we went to the dog park for a little while.  I knew there would not be very many other dogs there and in fact, Isaac was the only one.  I wanted to give him the opportunity to run a bit if he felt up to it without there being other dogs to encourage him to run and play more than he really felt like doing.  I also wanted to give him the chance to run a bit without being encouraged by his running buddy to run longer than he felt like running.  Because Isaac loves running with his running buddy (a.k.a. the dog walker), he is likely to keep going even if he feels some pain.  Same thing if he is playing with other doggies.

We only stayed about half an hour and Isaac spent much of the time just sniffing around and peeing on things.  He did run a little and a couple times it seemed to me that his gait was a bit odd, but I couldn’t exactly say he was limping.  He was going too fast to really get a good look at what his injured ankle was doing.  When we left, he seemed ready to leave, which is a bit unusual.  He definitely was not limping as we walked back to the car, though.  And he seems perfectly fine right now.

Second, an update on Cayenne.  She is spending nearly all her time under the couch now, where no one can bother her.  She comes out sometimes to eat, although she is eating less than normal, maybe about half her usual amount.  I serve her stinky canned cat food and top it with a spoonful of stinky chicken or turkey baby food, which she loves.  Sometimes she just eats the baby food off the top, other times she goes on to eat some of the canned food.  The baby food is also very moist and runny, so she gets more liquid from that than from the canned cat food, which is good because I have not seen her drink any water in several days.  I don’t think she is peeing much, either, unless she’s doing it under the couch where I cannot see it (or reach it to clean it up, which is definitely possible).

I’m just taking it one day at a time with her for now, petting her and loving on her a little when she does come out to eat, and then leaving her alone since that seems to be what she wants.  She doesn’t seem to be in much pain, as far as I can tell.  She just wants to sleep under the couch where it is dark and quiet and no one can disturb her.

She is almost out of canned food so I will stop by the store tomorrow and pick up a couple cans.  I’m not going to buy very much since she may not be around to eat it.  She hasn’t eaten any dry cat food in several days.  She will probably never finish the bag of dry food that’s in my cupboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment