Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Good News about Cayenne for a Change

Recently I've been thinking maybe it was time to talk to the vet about euthanizing Cayenne.  For the past few weeks, she spends most of her time under the couch.  She creeps out to eat occasionally and that's about it.  And she eats less than she used to.  She still seems to enjoy her food when she eats it, but sometimes she does not come out to eat when I serve her meals.  Since she only eats small amounts now, I feed her several times a day, and if I get up during the night, I often feed her then, too.  But sometimes she goes for a whole day without eating anything.

Well, yesterday I coaxed her out from under the couch to eat and I picked her up and put her on my window ledge.  I opened the window, and it was a warm, sunny, breezy day out.  She always used to like to sit in the window when it was open and she seemed to enjoy it yesterday, too.

She also seemed hungry.  She ate some canned cat food, then some dry cat food, then some chicken baby food (stinky!), some diced up hot dog, a few kitty treats, and some banana yogurt, all over the course of a couple hours.  She wanted the yogurt so bad she was smacking my hand while I was trying to eat it.

I made her a nice nest on the couch, with a soft fleece blanket on top of a puppy training pad (gotta try to protect my couch from cat pee), and she snuggled in.  Isaac was delighted to see her because he loves Cayenne very much, even though the feeling is not mutual.  They sniffed each other politely, though.  For a while, she climbed into my lap while I was sitting on the couch.  She was friendly, cuddly, interested in attention and food.

I loved every minute of it.  I know it may not last.  I know at some point the end will come.


Today, I coaxed her out from under the couch again, and now she's sitting beside me on the couch, on my weighted blanket (please, don't pee on that).  She ate some turkey baby food, some canned cat food, and some squirt cheese (you know, that cheesy stuff in a can that you can spray on crackers?  I got it to spray on the side of the bathtub when Isaac gets a bath).  She is currently enjoying a lengthy bath, which is something she always used to enjoy.

I'm so happy she seems to be feeling a little better.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad she seems to be feeling better for now and that you are pampering her. I hope you don't have to euthanize her for some time. It really sucks.

    ReplyDelete