Saturday, October 5, 2013

When I Need Help at Night

A couple months ago, I wrote about how I hate asking people for help but I don't mind asking Isaac for help at all.  It's mostly because Isaac never seems annoyed at being asked to help; in fact, he is delighted to help.  He thinks it's all fun.

Tonight something occurred to me.  I feel the same way about asking for help at night, only more so.  I often have trouble sleeping and sometimes have really bad nights.  However, I never want to wake anyone up to ask for help.  I have friends that have told me repeatedly that I can call them in the middle of the night but I never do.  I feel too guilty.

For a long time, I didn't want to wake Isaac up at night, either.  Isaac usually goes to bed between 8:00 and 10:00 in the evening.  Sometimes he'll fall asleep on the living room floor on one of  his blankies for a while, then eventually he gets up and goes into the bedroom and gets on my bed and goes back to sleep.  Sometimes he heads for the bedroom as soon as he gets sleepy.  I usually tiptoe around the apartment once he has gone to bed, trying not to wake him.

But tonight I was feeling lonely and I ended up wandering into the bedroom and sat on the bed and petted him for a few minutes.  And that's when I realized, I don't really feel guilty anymore about disturbing him at night.  Because he doesn't mind.  Not only does he not mind, he is delighted to see me.  He's not annoyed at being awakened.  Instead, he is happy and excited to get a little attention or to get the chance to perform a task like bringing my medication.

It's my understanding that dogs sleep differently than people do and if you've ever watched a dog sleep, you know what I mean.  Dogs sleep a lot during the day, napping or dozing, but it's usually a very light sleep.  The slightest noise or movement can bring them to their feet and they don't wake up tired and groggy like people do, either.  Isaac wakes up full of energy and ready for anything.  Even when dogs do sleep more deeply, they wake easily and become fully alert instantly.

Anyway, Isaac is just as happy to help at night as during the daytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment