Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Ah, Some Relief at Last!

Today I went to Rite Aid to buy milk and Bengay.  I was standing in the arthritis relief aisle, comparing the various rubs like Bengay and Icy Hot with the generic store brand, trying to figure out which would give me the biggest bang for my buck (how old does that make me sound?), when I spotted this electro-therapy device by Omron. 

It's like a TENS unit, but available without a prescription.  It has two little sticky pads you attach to whatever part of the body that hurts.  Little wires attach them to the control device, kind of like earphones and a CD player.  The control device has three different settings and five different intensity levels.  Basically, it sends out little tingling zaps of electricity that are supposed to interrupt pain signals.  If you turn it up too much, it's ouchy.  You can see the muscles jumping under your skin, like there is a little alien in there that wants out.  It's kind of bizarre.

But it works.

I bought it, mostly because I am desperate.  I rarely make purchases on impulse.  I shop with a list.  I have to.  I can't afford to make impulse purchases.  But this was on sale.  Normally $59.99, it was only $39.99.  And there was only one left.  And, you know, I was desperate.  I have pain.  So I bought it.  I figured I'd return it if it didn't help.

Well, I love it.  Love love love it.

When I'm using it, I have no pain at all in my right elbow, which has been bothering me a lot lately.  I have pain again afterward.  But it gives me a break from the pain.  I haven't even tried it on my back yet.  But I love having at least a short respite from the pain in my arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment