Saturday, August 31, 2013

Bad Night for Cayenne

Or maybe just a bad night for me.

Last night, around the time I was getting ready for bed, Cayenne jumped down from the window ledge where she'd been dozing, squatted, and peed on the floor.  She was squatting there for a while, but when she finished, there was only a tiny spot of urine on the carpet.  She jumped back up on the window ledge.  I sighed and got up and fetched the spray bottle and some rags to clean it up.

Then I saw she was peeing again, this time on the window ledge.  Luckily I moved the curtains and some books out of the way just in time.  Apparently she'd thought she was done peeing on the floor but she wasn't really done.

I think she's having trouble peeing.  She wasn't squatting on the floor for an excessively long time, but long enough that she should have produced more than the little spot of pee that she left on the carpet.  And since when do cats pee a little, stop, jump up on something and then pee some more?

It just worried me.  I wonder if the tumors in her abdomen are starting to interfere with her urinary system or something.  My first thought was oh crap, I should call the vet in the morning and I have no money until I get my SSDI in a few days.  My second thought was, I should call Mike and ask him to help me pay the vet and just tell him what's going on and that I'm worried.  Interesting, that, since we are not a couple anymore and since now that I think about it, I am certain Cayenne's vet would see her today and let me pay them in a few days.  He did that once before.  It was also about midnight and I was sure Mike would be asleep.

After I cleaned up the pee and calmed myself down a bit, I decided there is probably no need to see the vet right now.  Cayenne does not appear to be in any discomfort.  Well, maybe she has a bit of discomfort when she is trying to pee and having trouble, but other than that, she is eating well, is still very interested in food (two days ago, I had left the lid off Isaac's treat jar and Cayenne walked over to it and had one paw stuck in the jaw, trying to dig out a treat for herself), seems to be resting quite comfortably, enjoys being petted (just a little while ago, she crawled into my lap and purred while I petted her for a while), and likes being brushed (Isaac's friend K brushes her nearly every time she comes over and Cayenne stands up and prances around and purrs).  I would not want to put her through any kind of medical tests unless absolutely necessary, nor would I want to put her through any type of treatment except maybe medication, and that only if absolutely necessary.  I don't want to put her through a car ride unless absolutely necessary; she hates riding in the car, and on the trip from Mike's to my apartment, she threw up.

I think I need to see if I can find a vet around here that makes house calls, though.  When I lived in Cincinnati, there were a few that did that.  Mine only charged an extra $15 fee for the house call.  Then he charged what would be a normal fee for whatever was done, the same fee he would have charged if he saw the cats in his office.  I thought that was quite reasonable.  I think I'd feel better if someone just looked at her, agreed with me that she did not seem to be having any discomfort, that sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment